Thursday, October 11, 2012

30 Days to Feeling Fit --> Day 6




One cup of this Skinny Cow "Fat Free" Milk has 90 calories and 16 grams of SUGAR!! YIKES! Target's brand (Market Pantry) has 90 calories and 12 grams of sugar. (And who really only drinks 1 cup at a time??) I know this may be a tough change for you - I thought it would be extremely difficult for me since my hubby and I go through about 1 gallon of milk every 2-3 days! I can honestly say that I don't miss. Not.one.bit. I haven't had any milk in over two weeks now, and haven't even needed to substitute the almond or coconut milk yet...
Dairy products, especially SKIM or FAT FREE MILK, are a hidden source of sugar. Milk is made up of protein, fats and lactose (a simple sugar). If you remove the fat from milk, all you have left is sugar and some protein. Look out for ANY processed food labeled LOW FAT of FAT FREE. It is probably full of sugar, as that is the only other option unless it is made of 100% protein. 
I'd recommend using unsweetened almond milk or coconut milk instead:

Here are some other hidden sources of sugar that seem "healthy:"
  • peanut butter
  • granola
  • cereal
  • flavored yogurt
  • dried fruit
  • trail mix
  • fruit juice
  • salad dressing
  • spaghetti sauce
  • ketchup
  • BBQ sauce
  • energy drinks
  • gatorade
Information borrowed from HERE
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment